Experience a community of support
Senior Distribution Planning Engineer09/06/2019 Locations Berlin-CT
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
Role and Scope of Position:
Performs as project leader and/or carries out assignments requiring mastery of subject matter, with extensive experience associated with planning distribution lines and distribution substation facilities in an electric power system. Exhibits strong technical skills on the design of the electric power system. Represents the company regarding matters in distribution planning at the state public utility commissions and various state and regional entities.
- Identifies Distribution System problems involving multiple feeders and substations, leads and conducts scenario based planning studies, evaluates alternatives and recommends appropriate solutions to ensure a reliable distribution system.
- Develop medium (2-5 year) and long (5+ year) range distribution plans involving load relief, capacity and asset related issues.
- Prepare contingency studies for distribution networks including N-1 and N-2 analysis.
- Propose new distribution OH and UG feeders.
- Perform area wide voltage and power factor studies, recommending findings to distribution engineering
- Work with the DER planning team on wide area distribution impacts of distributed generation
- Leads or conducts load forecast planning studies to determine distribution loads used in planning studies.
- Partners with other departments (Distribution Engineering, Asset Management, Standards, Transmission/Substation engineering, etc.) to prepare economic analysis for complex projects; recommends the allocation of costs for facilities used jointly with other utilities.
- Recommends project priorities for the capital construction program financial review.
- Conducts and/or manages the studies required to support the need for facilities, the evaluation of alternatives and the preferred solution contained in chapters, reports and testimony for distribution applications for proceedings before regulatory agencies.
- Provides leadership in coordinating multiple cross-functional groups, and positive guidance for engineers.
- Prepares distribution related documentation and/or testimony to support regulatory filings.
- Effective communication, support and implementation with distribution customers pertaining to proposed facilities.
- Presents recommendations and/or results to all levels of management as appropriate.
- Represents the department and the company on various committees.
- Recommends the development and/or changes as appropriate of criteria and standards for distribution planning.
- Working knowledge of the use of complex computer simulation techniques used in distribution planning.
· Knowledge of the techniques for planning the expansion of distribution lines and distribution substation facilities.
· Advanced knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning an electric power supply system.
· Advanced knowledge of distribution line design and operating practices.
· Knowledge of National, State and other planning standards.
· Good written and oral communication skills, including formal presentation.
· Excellent team skills.
· Effective interpersonal skills, ability to develop strategic partnerships.
· Ability to achieve desired results by setting high standards for self and others, and accepts responsibility for outcomes.
· Recognized by others in New England as a technical expert.
Education: Baccalaureate degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Power Technology Engineering required, Electric Power Systems preferred. Masters’ degree in Engineering preferred.
Experience: Minimum of eight (8) years related experience in planning, design, and operations related to distribution line and distribution substation facilities, with a thorough knowledge of power system planning.
Licenses & Certifications: Registered Professional Engineer preferred
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor