Experience a community of support
Manager of System Planning - Transmission11/12/2019 Locations Westwood-MA; Berlin-CT; Manchester-NH
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
Role and Scope of Position:
This position is accountable for ensuring multi-state planning for the Eversource Transmission System. This position manages the long-term assessment of system adequacy and reliability, defining the need, size, location, priority, timing and justification of major system projects, incorporation of system capital investment proposals into the budget process, etc. Responsible for developing plans for transmission system expansion, replacement and reinforcement. Responsible for prioritizing and developing the capital budget. The position is also responsible for establishing goals, monitoring and reporting results, and continuous improvement. Provides a Transmission Planning Strategy for obtaining ISO project-technical and cost allocation approvals, ISO policy and other ISO issues that could affect the Eversource Transmission Business or its customers. Provides technical leadership, recognized as having technical expertise, elicits ideas for the solution of unique and/or complex engineering problems, and is accountable for major technical recommendations. Manages proposed transmission projects through Independent System Operators-NE (ISO-NE) working groups and New England Power Pool (NEPOOL) or Regional Transmission Organization (RTO) committees. Participates and understands the project economics, the ISO generation markets and the ISO generation pricing and their effects on the Eversource Transmission Business and its customers. Develops plans for solving major engineering problems and opportunities and has responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating assignments. Provides strategic and tactical leadership for regulatory filings of various projects. Assumes the role of Transmission Planning regulatory coordinator for individual and/or multiple project filings. Directs and prepares documents/testimony, written responses, and may make presentations/testify for local, state and regulatory requirements and proceedings for all jurisdictions. Performs analyses for operating companies as required. Manages technical projects having significant impact on the design, engineering, and operation of the transmission system.
• Manages electric transmission system planning, including compliance with state, regional and NERC standards and regulations and environmental programs, policies, rules and regulations.
• Solves complex technical problems requiring recognized expertise in electric power systems, various engineering and operating disciplines, and resultant regulatory impacts, etc., to resolve major power facilities problems. The desired solutions should be compatible and part of the overall business unit strategy.
• Presents, directs and/or prepares corporate testimony and written responses for rate cases and other local, state or federal regulatory proceedings.
• Leads advocacy of governing transmission planning processes and standards, both within Eversource, ISO-NE and Northeast Power Coordinating Council (NPCC).
• Manages technical projects having significant economic impact on the design, engineering, construction and operation on the Eversource transmission system.
• Formulates Eversource technical positions and recommends company policies and standards on various issues within expertise.
• Interfaces with federal, state and local organizations external to Eversource on behalf of or as a representative of Eversource.
• Assimilates transmission business knowledge (FERC/State regulatory decisions, desires, etc.) in order to derive a Five-Ten Year Transmission Plan. Provides appropriate input into the Eversource transmission strategy.
• Serves on various Eversource internal committees and task forces to provide information and
recommendations to Eversource senior management.
• Represents Eversource with respect to assigned area of transmission responsibilities on various industry
and professional society committees and working groups.
• Establishes and monitors system network capabilities, utilization and performance measures.
• Collaborates with other departments/engineers on preliminary design of system projects.
• Implements best practices to achieve efficient and effective planning activities.
• Manages the department by establishing and monitoring area goals, policies, plans, programs,
performance objectives and budget.
• Analyzes and recommends resource levels to plan, develop and implement programs and policies.
• Establishes operational and financial objectives and aligns with department goals.
• Oversees the management and development of area staff. Assesses the need for and oversees
implementation of programs to ensure employees possess technical, interpersonal and organizational skills
required to support operating plans. Supervises, selects, coaches and develops area staff.
• Requires thorough knowledge and experience in electric transmission planning, system analysis computer
applications and modeling, operations support, budgeting, project analysis, working cross-functionally and
• Demonstrated leadership in strategic planning.
• Thorough knowledge of transmission power system protection and control systems
• Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering. Advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum of ten (10) years in transmission system planning, engineering or operations management
experience including supervisory experience.
Licenses & Certifications:
• Professional Engineer’s License preferred.
4. Working Conditions:
• Must be available to work emergency storm assignment as required.
• Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor