Experience a community of support
Senior Engineer – Distributed Energy Resource (DER) Planning08/10/2022 Locations Manchester-NH
The DER Planning Engineer provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in DER power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the technical review and modeling of generation and storage facilities interconnecting with the distribution system. The role requires experience associated with the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of distribution lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. This position also represents the company on regional and national distribution committees regarding DER and distribution planning matters for North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), New England Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and Independent System Operators of New England (ISO-NE).
• Assists in development of the distribution system power flow model for the purpose of studying the interconnection of DERs.
• Assists in the assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with the integration of DER and associated impact on the ISO-NE regional system. Prepare documentation for the ISO-NE interconnection process as needed.
• Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations.
• Interface and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders such as: system planning, transmission, distribution line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans.
• Conducts assessments and develops interconnection options or alternative solutions.
• Application of industry and corporate distribution planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities.
• Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
• Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional distribution and substation expansion studies.
• Assist with preparing PAF’s and TAF’s and present at monthly meeting.
• Assist with preparation of high-level construction estimates.
• Serves as a team leader on specialized internal and external cross-functional teams, as necessary, to develop engineering solutions and customer satisfaction.
• Manage approved inverter list and review UL certifications.
• Prepare Special Operating Guidelines
• Trains interns in technical analyses and procedures
• Performs storm assignments as needed.
• Strong understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as power generation energy storage, reliability, load flow, flicker, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
• Strong technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
• Knowledge and experience using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and persuasion skills both verbal and written.
• Knowledge of STORMS, eGIS, Visio, and C2 knowledge is preferred.
• Knowledge of Eversource tariffs and technical standards
• Follow Eversource’s Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related is required. An Advanced Degree is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of eight years of related experience is required.
Licenses & Certifications: EIT or Professional Engineer’s License preferred.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.