Experience a community of support
Test Technician05/08/2023 Locations Berlin-CT
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
Eversource Energy is the largest Energy delivery company in New England. We support 4.4 million Gas and Electric customers across CT, MA, and NH. Be a part of our mission to deliver reliable energy and superior customer service. ENERGY- BRINGS US TOGETHER!!
Telecommunication Services Group
Role and Scope of Position:
This is an entry level position that works within the various system test and technical service departments (Substation Automation; Distribution Automation; Radio Services; Network Services; Central Maintenance Services). Handles technical assignments, under close supervision, associated with acceptance testing, maintenance, and/or repair of various communications systems. This includes various communications platforms, process computers, peripheral hardware and various electronic components and devices. Will assist with work associated with the compliance and maintenance of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) systems. Applicants must successfully pass the TECH test.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, services equipment and systems associated with electrical and electronic equipment.
- Reads and interprets engineering drawings, schematic, wiring, logic, and interconnection diagrams may also include manufacture documentation.
- Provides input to reports, drawings, sketches, logs, and records of work performed; makes corrections to engineering drawings to reflect field changes
- Obtains clearance, if required, from appropriate dispatching to perform work on critical operating equipment or electronic systems.
- Operates a variety of electrical and electronic instruments to test and calibrate, such as voltmeters, ammeters, oscilloscopes, transmission test sets, frequency counters, spectrum analyzers, communications service monitors, multi-meters, etc.
- Identifies and analyzes communications problems/failures on systems including leased telephone facilities or internal communication circuits; reports and explains details of problems to the carrier or inter personnel; returns equipment to service following repair
- Must work on-call and during emergency restoration efforts as required.
Central Maintenance Services:
- Works on technical assignments associated with infrared inspection of transmission and distribution substation and distribution overhead equipment; Cathodic Protection systems and associated corrosion inspection of transmission, gas, telecom, and garage facilities; battery plant and monitors at telecom sites; and acceptance testing, maintenance, and repair of substation monitoring devices and associated Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), webpages, meters, and transducers. Individual is also responsible for compliance and maintenance of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) systems and must maintain annual CIP certification.
- Works on technical assignments associated with the acceptance testing, maintenance, or repair of hardware and data base records associated with the Distribution Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (DSCADA) System. Individual will be responsible for the installation, commissioning and maintenance of communications devices used by the DSCADA Front End and all field devices. The DSCADA System includes various communication platforms, process computers, peripheral hardware, and various electronic components and devices. As required, individual will create and update configuration and drawing files used by the DSCADA Front End and pertaining to distribution circuit breakers, reclosers, line sensors, fault locators, smart switches, feeder metering, alarm dialers, and other Intelligent Electronic Devices (IEDs). Individual is also responsible for compliance and maintenance of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) systems and must maintain annual CIP certification.
- Supports basic database setting changes and system one-line drawing updates for the addition, removal or upgrade of DSCADA equipment.
- Works independently on technical assignments associated with the acceptance testing, maintenance, or repair of Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) terminals, digital microwave terminals and systems, mobile VSAT and portable satellite communication systems, TDM Digital Access Cross-connect systems, Frame Relay Access Devices (FRADs), TDM Multiplexers and channel banks, MPLS switches, carrier Ethernet, fiber optic test and splicing equipment, point to multipoint SCADA communications, monitoring and alarm systems, Telecom-based RFI investigations, personal computers and peripheral hardware, and various electronic systems, components, and devices. Individual is also responsible for compliance and maintenance of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) systems and must maintain annual CIP certification.
- Performs acceptance, installation or post-installation tests on new or newly installed equipment
- Makes reports, drawings, sketches, logs and other up-to-date records of work performed, correct engineering drawings to reflect field changes.
- Works independently on technical assignments associated with the acceptance testing, maintenance, or repair of analog and digital mobile radios (LMR/DMR), voice and data communication systems, mobile VSAT and portable satellite communication systems, simulcast radio systems, serial and network data communications, metering and alarm systems, telephone and voice dispatch consoles, telecom-based RFI investigations, SCADA protocols and communications, personal computers and peripheral hardware, and various electronic systems, components, and devices. Individual is also responsible for compliance and maintenance of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) systems and must maintain annual CIP certification.
- Works on technical assignments associated with the acceptance testing, maintenance, or repair of communication systems, supervisory control and data acquisition systems (SCADA), Remote Terminal Units (RTU), Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) and webpage- based annunciators, digital meters and analog transducers, process computers, peripheral hardware and sensors, and various electronic systems, components, and devices. Individual is also responsible for compliance and maintenance of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) systems and must maintain annual CIP certification.
- Performs acceptance, installation or post-installation tests on new or newly installed equipment.
- Modifies and troubleshoots database configurations for programmable electronic devices and systems.
- Knowledge of electrical and electronic components, circuitry, and systems.
- Ability to use computer-based technology with various types of operating systems.
- Skill and manual dexterity in making repairs, adjustments and modifications to equipment with a working familiarity of testing and measurement techniques.
- Knowledge of specialized instrumentation use and application; working familiarity with electrical and electronic testing and measurement techniques.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively, in both verbal and written form.
- Knowledge of switching and tagging procedures preferred.
- Working knowledge of Eversource safety rules and practices.
- Associate Degree in electrical engineering; electrical technology or equivalent
- Zero (0) to three (3) years of related experience
Licenses & Certifications:
- Critical Infrastructure Protection certification must be maintained annually; must maintain a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for resolution
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and customers.
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with others
Manage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company goals
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your performance
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending meetings, etc.
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to achieve “One Company” and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team, colleagues, and customers in your work
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to support changes in priorities and work processes
Focus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive and timely manner
Please include a resume when completing your online application.
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.