Experience a community of support
Senior Engineer, Protection & Controls05/12/2022 Locations Berlin-CT
- Review and evaluate proposed changes to existing electric facilities to ensure compatibility with established Eversource protection system standards and practices.
- Create new Protection and Control system designs in accordance with Eversource Standards as required.
- Specify materials associated with new or modified Protection and Control systems for assigned projects
- Develop, calculate, and document settings and logic for protective relays, logic processors, feeder reclosers, and switches necessary to support Eversource system reliability projects and initiatives.
- Perform coordination studies by modeling and analyzing electric system elements and their protection systems using fault simulation software.
- Analyze protection system operations during transmission and distribution system disturbances in support of Substation Technical Group Event analysis.
- Interface with Eversource Planning, Operations and Field personnel to support their efforts to plan, operate and maintain the transmission and distribution system.
- Lead project teams
- Assist less experienced engineers in attaining self-sufficiency under the direction of the Lead Engineer/Manager
- Perform peer checks of other group member designs and relay settings.
- Actively support storm and/or emergency restoration assignments.
Education: Requires a Bachelor or Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. Individuals with a focus in electric power systems engineering are preferred
Experience: Minimum of Five (5) years of related experience is required, including some of the following:
- Experience performing overcurrent and distance coordination studies with ASPEN Oneliner modeling software or equivalent.
- Experience performing post event analysis using relay and digital fault recorder event records
- Thorough knowledge of transmission and distribution protective relaying principles and methodologies
- Ability to succeed independently or in a team environment
- Excellent Communication skills
- Experience with the design and installation of protection and control schemes utilizing IEC61850 protocol preferred
Licenses & Certifications: PE License Preferred
Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires sitting, standing, walking and climbing stairs are involved. Job can require traveling to operating districts, and companies within and outside the state. Job will also require travel to electrical substation and generation facilities as necessary for site walk downs and meetings.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
Work includes calculating, comparing, technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, designing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing and presenting. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.