Experience a community of support
Assistant General Counsel-Energy Supply, Renewables & Siting09/21/2022 Locations Berlin-CT; Westwood-MA; Manchester-NH
Role and Scope of Position:
Serves as lead counsel providing legal guidance to specific Eversource Energy business segments, including the energy supply, renewable energy, infrastructure siting and operations functions; provides strategy development; directs the development of legal plans for state and federal jurisdictions; provides leadership to prepare for and execute a variety of transactions and regulatory proceedings including management decision support; provides department leadership and communication; provides internal expert advice related to legal issues affecting the Eversource Energy businesses; directs the integration of legal matters into other functional activities; and, manages the operations of the Legal Department including oversight of the use of 3rd party lawyers.
- Directs a Legal team in the provisions of daily legal activities including development of legal strategies in support of business goals, contract negotiations, regulatory filings, administrative proceedings, litigation and communication of relevant information, issues and decisions.
- Serves as project leader for key legal proceedings.
- Provides expert testimony, as needed, before governmental organizations related to Eversource Energy’s positions and policy issues related to Eversource Energy.
- Manages legal budgets and financial impacts of legal activities to achieve positive business results in alignment with corporate objectives.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends, proven management practices and industry-related legislation.
- Fosters a productive, engaging and inclusive work environment in which open communication is encouraged and obstacles to open communication are addressed quickly.
- Promotes and encourages a positive, cooperative and efficient work atmosphere.
- Develops and actively pursues a viable succession plan for all areas under sphere of control. Coordinates succession plan with Human Resources, Senior Management and other affiliated Eversource Energy business groups.
- Guides direct reports when challenging situations are encountered and helps them to be successful.
- Envisions and builds a cohesive, unified organization that is positively integrated and makes a meaningful contribution to the company-at-large.
- Develops relationships with selected community leaders and organizations to facilitate strong community relationships, leverages common goals and objectives and furthers the mission of Eversource Energy.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships and communications within the Senior Leadership team to share ideas, spearhead inter-disciplinary projects and coordinate common work efforts.
- Keeps Senior Management informed of issues, impediments and progress.
- Models standards of excellence including the values of Eversource Energy.
- Identifies and appropriately addresses obstacles to goal attainment as well as emerging issues within assigned areas.
- Continually communicates corporate strategy, direction and initiatives to staff.
- Regulatory policies and practices
- Utility regulatory environment
- Utility ratemaking processes
- Utility organizational structure and functions
- Ability to strategically and tactically evaluate and implement sophisticated legal programs and initiatives
- Ability to think and act strategically in a fast-paced environment with frequently shifting and/or conflicting priorities
- Extensive resourcefulness to anticipate, define and direct solutions to complex and/or unusual legal issues
- Ability to influence decisions based upon area(s) of expertise
- Ability and willingness to testify before regulatory authorities
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills including the ability to develop and give presentations before various audience sizes at all levels of the organization
- Ability to effectively lead, manage and develop a diverse workforce
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school is required.
- An MBA or other advanced, relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years of progressively responsible legal experience is required that includes a minimum of 3 years of management experience in a Legal environment.
- Prefer strong experience in an electric or natural gas utility or other highly regulated environment.
- Experience in the procurement of energy supply, renewable energy projects and/or infrastructure siting strongly preferred.
- High level legal experience providing business-oriented solutions to complex legal problems is a requirement.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Candidates should be admitted to at least one of the Connecticut, Massachusetts and/or New Hampshire Bars. However, candidates admitted to practice law in other states and in good standing in those states will be considered but will be required to gain admission in Connecticut, Massachusetts or New Hampshire within 1 year as a condition of employment.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.