Experience a community of support
Community Relations Specialist06/22/2022 Locations Tolland-CT; Hartford-CT
Under general supervision, responsible for developing and maintaining favorable relationships with the surrounding community. Implement and coordinate programs to promote good will by disseminating information to the community and soliciting feedback from stakeholders. May represent Eversource at community gatherings or forums. Support ES initiatives, priorities and responses by serving as a point of contact for various government officials, economic development agencies, business leaders and non-profit and community organizations. Educate the company on community viewpoints to help accomplish business objectives, and ensure the company is best positioned to receive favorable support from our municipalities and communities. Support the economic growth of the communities and customers we serve through economic development initiatives engineered at the regional, state and local levels, regular and active engagement with the business community and by building public and private partnerships.
- Works with the Community Relations Team to implement strategies for community and municipal outreach and relationship development; emergency preparedness and response; local and regional economic development; strategic corporate giving; and employee engagement, volunteerism, and business membership activities.
- Identifies and supports initiatives, proposals, concerns, or issues related to the company’s reputation. This includes working with our communities on project timing and coordination as well as partnering with municipalities to promote state and local economic development initiatives.
- Supports various internal partners by sharing municipal and community knowledge to move projects towards successful outcomes while balancing company and community needs during small-scale project meetings, municipal project briefings, and town/city council, board, commission, committee and other municipal organization meetings.
- Participates with supporting the goals of the company by working with community, business, and civic organizations that will build positive relationships and partnerships.
- Identifies corporate giving opportunities within assigned territory and at regional and statewide levels. Solicits, screens, and makes recommendations for grant awards to build strong, sustainable communities, increase local visibility and support company priorities.
- Ensures timely and effective communications with municipal leaders on siting, permitting, construction and maintenance activities involving transmission, distribution, vegetation and reliability projects.
- Monitors and analyzes local government policy changes, elections, city and town ordinances, board, and council activities and serves as liaison with Eversource colleagues to ensure timely awareness and participation.
- Provides guidance to internal business partners on local political activities, sensitivities and emergent issues that may impact state and federal government relations.
- Proactively builds relationships with essential community, private and non-profit agencies and organizations.
- Supports Eversource initiatives around Emergency Preparedness, specifically the development, maintenance, and implementation of the comprehensive Community Liaison Plans to optimize Eversource’s emergency preparedness efforts up to and following minor/major events.
- Good understanding of municipal, state, and regional government as well as the regulatory process.
- Knowledge of utility business, regulatory, and energy supply issues.
- Knowledge of crisis communication and media relations.
- Ability to use PC desktop applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, company outage management systems, and virtual meeting software). Ability to use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to support and promote company initiatives.
- Ability to produce and deliver in-depth reports and presentations to internal and external partners.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work with confidential information with integrity.
- Good written and verbal communication skills to present and share information with internal and external audiences.
- Good collaborative skills and the ability to work effectively in sensitive, political environments.
- Good organizational skills to analyze, coordinate, and implement initiatives.
- Diplomacy and the ability to get along well with all levels of management and government officials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public/Government Administration or related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in community/customer care or government relations– five years preferred. Requires experience preparing and delivering presentations.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Valid motor vehicle license is required.
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- Extended work hours during emergency preparedness and significant events.
- Emergency response responsibilities require night and weekend availability.
- Evening work is expected to attend public hearings, town and city council meetings, business association meetings and company sponsored events.
- Employee safety is paramount at Eversource. All Associates are provided with company-issued personal protective safety gear.
- Expected to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Must be comfortable leveraging mobile technologies to work remotely as needed.
- Communicates governmental, regulatory and technical issues with public officials in public and political forums to effectively address emergent issues, public concerns and resolve customer problems.
- General understanding of utility operations, electric distribution and transmission systems, customer care, emergency preparedness, energy efficiency, energy markets, rates and regulations. and company policies and procedures.
- Collaboration with all corporate organizations, including senior leadership, Corporate Communications, Governmental Affairs, Media Relations, Electric and Gas Operation and Transmission and Regulatory Affairs.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for resolution
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and customers.
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with others
Manage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company goals
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your performance
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending meetings, etc.
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to achieve “One Company” and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team, colleagues, and customers in your work
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to support changes in priorities and work processes
Focus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive and timely manner
Number of Openings:1
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.